A teaching philosophy should be more than a pedagogical approach. It should be a living document. I share this statement with my students, so they know how I feel, think and respond to the material of clay. Doing so holds me accountable for my teaching approach and clarifies my expectations of them.
My hopes are that students come away from my class remembering it for reasons beyond making something in clay. Students should learn the clay medium, but the lessons it teaches can also carry over to other classes and to life in general.
1. Throughout life, both inside and outside of ceramics, lead by example.
Honestly try. Try honestly.
Remember to look. Remember to listen. Remember to touch. Explore.
Work outside of class. 9. Work inside of class.
Ceramics is not easy. Ask questions. Look up answers. Instill confidence.
Try six times, six different ways, and then ask for help. Ask for help. Help.
18. Enjoy what you do. Do what you enjoy.
Travel. Learn to cook. Eat and drink from your creations.
Ceramics is easy. Challenge yourself. Challenge others.
27. Ask your peers. Question your peers. Smile.
Explore texture. Create positive space. Negative space. Space.
Seek visual stimulation.
Look inside. 36. Look outside. Look inside yourself. Look outside yourself. Look at yourself.
Work harder. Inspire. Perspire. Follow through.
Learn from others. 45. Read.
Experiment. Expect failures. Try again. Know it will rarely happen the first time. Take risks. Be bold.
Ask for help. Again.
54. Know the wheel is only a tool. Understand the basics. Learn more. Laugh at yourself.
Go to a museum. Go to a library. Decide. Investigate. Contemplate.
63. Sketch. Draw from history. Draw from life.
Invest energy. Make it your own. Exhibit control. Exude craftsmanship.
Develop a strength. Know your weakness.
72. Try minimalism. Try expressionism. Explore funk.
Dont give all the answers. Force exploration.
Develop creativity. Demonstrate work ethic. Be sympathetic. Show compassion.
81. Give encouragement. Stick by your guns. Develop leadership.
Ceramics is not easy.
Ask more questions. Develop a foundation. Combine media. Explore other options.
Sacrifice. 90. Work late.
Expect more from yourself. Relax. Lighten up. Develop a sense of humor. Be proud.
Give advice. Take advice. Realize opportunities.
99. Focus. Expand your abilities. Expand your horizons. Gather momentum.
103. Have fun.